Monday 12 November 2012

#E4S Engage for Success launch

Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 07.43.27.png  Today is the launch of the Engage for Success task force in the UK, with a group of CEOs meeting in London, and plenty of commentary in the press.

This movement which is focused on the business value of employee engagement has been set in train by a group of business leaders and organised by David Macleod and Nita Clarke, authors of the Engaging for Success report published a few years back.

It's also supported by groups of HR practitioners and consultants (gurus) - I'm on the guru group and have also been working on the social media sub-group helping raise interest in the launch.

Since the report, the movement has been building slowly - you can see my reports of a conference I presented at  with David and Nita a few years ago here:

 

The movement is now gaining momentum and I think it's a good time for the formal launch.  As well as today's event, there's a new website and a video - a bit cheesy? - you decide!:

 

 

As well as these, there's a new report reinforcing the business benefits of employee evidence which has been developed by the movement's ‘Nailing the Evidence’ sub group, led by Tanith Dodge, HRD at Marks & Spencer.  I'm reviewing this today and will post a summary later.

However, some of the data points that have already been released and that will be being discussed this morning include:

  • UK productivity is 20% below the G7 average
  • According to Kenexa, the UK average level of engagement is 3.19 out of 5
  • If this could be raised to a 4th quartile score of 3.55 - an increase of just 0.36 of 7% this would produce an increase in GDP of 1.7%
  • That would add £28.5bn to the UK economy.


As well as my review of the evidence, I also feel the need to post a bit on my own personal perspectives on engagement - I am a big supporter, hence my role in the movement, but I do have a few issues with the term and concept itself.

I'll also be posting from today's follow-up event, a conference at the QEII Conference Centre in London on 26th November.

So, more soon...

 

  • Consulting - Research - Speaking - Training - Writing
  • Strategy - Talent - Engagement - Change and OD
  • Contact me to create more value for your business
  • jon [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com

 

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. In terms of the video, I was just waiting for Gareth Malone to come out and start the communal singing. In terms of engagement - it all sounds good, but feels a bit wooly at present. I'm glad today's event is focused on CEOs as they need to be driving this. Too much so far has been focused around HR and comms - both great enablers in setting policy and creating anad managing supporting processes, but too many people are treating engagement as an activity rather than a state of mind driven by joined-up leadership and supported by everything from operational effectiveness to the right pay and bens and a great working environment. I still feel too many organisations are just scraping the surface and are still driven by short-term profit targets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark - completely agree - and have sort of posted on a similar track today - with more to come...

    Great to hear from you. Cheers, Jon.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)