I particularly like his post, HR and the business delusion, not just for the drawings, but because I think the post hits the nail on the head: HR may need to have a good understanding of the business and its numbers to gain credibility across the business, but this isn't what enables it to maximise its impact on the business.
In my terminology, an understanding of the numbers are the basis for HRM, not for HCM. But whatever we call this, the future direction of HR an important issue for the HR community to resolve.
See also my posts:
- HR's role in strategic people management
- Management's human touch
- Talking metrics and people evaluations is not enough
- Talking metrics and people evaluations is not enough 2
- Which direction beyond HR?
- Can / should HR take on more accountability?
- Can / should HR take on more accountability? 2
- Jose Mourinho: HR business partner