Tuesday 29 April 2008

I'm Tweating two

Well, only six months ago, I said I could never see myself doing it, but I'm now on Twitter.

For those of you who don't know what this is, France Roche at KnowHR has a good post / video link that explains it well.

What changed my mind?

Well, one recent trigger has been Debbie Weil's recent blog posts on Twitter.

And more broadly, it's the fact that a few other HR bloggers are now joining: see for example, one of Gautam Ghosh's recent posts.

And my interest was also raised in a recent show of the Podcast Sisters.

My previous reservation was mainly to do with my blog posts being rather long and so not being able to see how 'micro blogging' would work. Actually, I think the term is wrong. To me, this isn't a form of blogging (which would fall in the category of web 2.0 using the categorisation I described in my last post) but of social networking itself (people-to-people vs people-to-content. It puts me in direct contact with other people, not really just their content. And seen in this way, it has huge potential value to me.

So here I am.

Mind you, I still don't think many HR professional are on board. Twitter search engine Terraminds picks up just 8 HR twitterers. And About.com:HR's recent poll finds almost complete ignorance of it:

3 comments:

  1. I meant to explain that one reason I am tweating despite the lack of HR people to follow me (or that I can follow) is that compared to blogging (and especially my blogging) is that it's really quick to do.

    I include my tweats on my blog (in the right hand column) and think it adds a nice real time aspect to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been “tweeting” for about a year or so now, but only recently installed the plugin for Wordpress that sends a message when a post is published and have noticed an increase in traffic from that.
    I love Twitter because it lets me write those random one-liners that I used to make separate posts for (back when I used LJ)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, although personally I'm still not a very good (regular) tweater. I like to read all the tweats of people I subscribe to though.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)