Friday 27 May 2011

Social payroll?

 

   In my various presentations around HR 2.0 I try to stress that just about any people management process can be social-ified.  But I usually explain that in some areas, eg in reward, the change may be more about using social approaches, eg pay transparency, rather than social media.

So I was excited recently by the challenge of contributing to an article on using social media in payroll.  But as I said:

“Payroll isn’t the most obvious example for the use of social media tools. The issue is that social tools are designed to enable sharing and in the payroll area, sharing (for example of individual salaries) is the last thing organisations want to see.”

 

There is more, but you’ll have to see whether you can get hold of a copy of Scott Beagrie’s article in the May edition of Payroll World to have a look (I’ve not managed to do so yet).

 

And do let me know if you know of any good examples of social media being used within payroll – I’d love to know more about them.

 

 

 

  • Consulting - Research - Speaking  - Training -  Writing
  • Strategy  -  Talent  -  Engagement  -  Change and OD
  • Contact  me to  create more  value for  your business
  • jon  [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com .

.

2 comments:

  1. Within payroll you have both the transaction side and the service side. The transaction side doesn't have much social media potential, although you could argue that the outcome (pay statement) should be transparent and integrated with a broader HR social media design.

    But, employees often have payroll questions - especially when things are incorrect. This is where SM could make an impact - helping to provide a medium for employees and ask and have answered their sensitive payroll questions. SM can help tremendously with the service aspect of HR - and payroll is one of the more important service requirements from an EE perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BT - agreed, and was largely the focus of my comments for the article too. But I do like the idea of including a transparent pay statement as part of a broader HR 2.0 strategy.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)