Tuesday 17 November 2009

CIPD09: Emmanuel Gobilott on Leadership

 

DSCN1830   Emmanuel Gobillot started his presentation with ‘Shift Happens’ – the second conference speaker I’ve seen in two weeks to do this.  Personally, I wouldn’t use it (too many people like me who’ve seen it too many times), but the video did set the context for Emmanuel’s speech quite nicely.  And I’d guess most people in this audience won’t have seen it anyway.

Also, Emmanuel has mentioned me three times in his speech, so I’m not going to be too critical am I?  Actually, I wouldn’t be critical anyway – I think Leadershift provides a very apt description of the changes I’m seeing in the world.

The presentation wasn’t a practical one, but focused on a necessary mindset change.  And a shift in the way that we lead.

The shift is based on these four challenges:

  • Demographic – what happens when you’re working with people who have nothing in common with you?
  • Expertise – business models are adapting (eg through mass customisation, crowdsourcing, mass participation, mass collaboration)
  • Attention – where do we focus? – a need to create your own information space (including my blog apparently)
  • Democratic – we’re changing the way we feel about our companies as fast as we change our clothes.

 

The impact of these changes is that your experience, expertise, efforts and power are now DEAD.

But you still need to gain the engagement, accountability and commitment of your staff?  How?  Well, unfortunately I’ve run out of time (lunch is calling) – I’ll come back and finish this post later.

 

Do call back – or visit my Social Advantage blog for some reasonably aligned thoughts on leadershift.

 

 

UPDATE WEDNESDAY MORNING: TOO MUCH RED WINE LAST NIGHT!  I’LL HAVE TO FINISH THIS OFF LATER.  MAYBE TONIGHT, MAYBE AT THE WEEKEND.  DEFINITELY BY MONDAY!

 

 

 

  • Consulting - Research - Speaking  - Training -  Writing
  • Strategy  -  Talent  -  Engagement  -  Change and OD
  • Contact  me to  create more  value for  your business
  • jon  [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com

    .

  • 2 comments:

    1. Hello Jon,
      Forgive my impatience for commenting before you've even had a chance to finish your post!
      As an ethics consultant, your (thusfar) closing comment piqued my interest - how do you engage the committment, accountability and engagement of your staff? I don't know what Emmanuel Gobilott had to say on this, however the growing interest in ethics as an essential part of an organisation's strategic infrastructure has huge benefits - amongst which are accountability and engagement of staff. Including staff (and stakeholders) in the design and development of an ethical framework for the organisation - in essence, stimulating a discussion around values - is a fantastic method of staff engagement. Have much to say on this but will give you a chance to finish your post post-lunch before I ramble on any further!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Emer, I think it's going to be this evening before I come back to this, so do carry on if you wish. I think you're quite well aligned with what he was saying.

      ReplyDelete

    Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)