Caroline Waters too people through a BT mash-up of Now You Know and then described the impact of BT.
Some of the key points are below:
- Talent needs to be able to pick out a piece of information, turn it into knowledge and apply it
- Gen Y talent isn’t bothered by money – they need the opportunity to connect and collaborate
- They have a different way of problem solving and accessing information
- BT has a very diverse workforce: 40-45% of employees serve customers from a fundamentally different cultural background
- The company therefore needs to change its belief systems
- It does this by reaching out to unconventional sources to find people – small organisations that can reach out to different communities
- It also uses social media to connect and team with other people eg through a learning community
- Social media works because of its trust based environment – there are no barriers – you can access anything. We give you as an employee the tools you need to do your job. Use them wisely – if you don’t we’ll deal with it. They’re absolutely clear with people what excessive usage looks like (in the last 10 years they’ve sacked 3 people for inappropriate online behaviour).
- Consulting - Research - Speaking - Training - Writing
- Strategy - Talent - Engagement - Change and OD
- Contact me to create more value for your business
- jon [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com